Wednesday, February 21, 2007

House of Commons Erupts

So this morning we had Ken Hall's class where we learnt about the trinity and how the Bible supports the idea of the trinity, because the word is never actually used in the Bible. In order to understand this fully we had to go back to the original Hebrew language and discover that often the word one (echad) has a singular meaning as well as a compound meaning. So that was really neat. After class we headed down to Question and Answer period...and boy were the topics hot. I don't think I have seen so many standing ovations, or dishonoring statements yet. Let me try to explain what happened. The House of Commons was debating the topic of reopening the Air India bombing case even though the Supreme Courts have ruled otherwise. The Conservatives are in favor but the Liberals are opposed to the idea and their reasoning is the fact that the government should not be allowed to overrule the Supreme Court. Anyways, as Mr. Harper was responding to one of the questions he tried to bring up a slandering article written in the Vancouver Sun about one of the Liberal members comment towards Air India. Before he could even finish all the Liberals erupted yelling at the Prime Minister, banging on the tables, booing, and then chanting in unison SHAME, SHAME. Needless to say it was very disturbing and the rest of the afternoon was accusations and attempts to get the Prime Minister to apologize. One member called even called him deceitful, even though the Mr. Harper never got to read or say anything about the article. It was a very dishonoring, childlike time and I am embarrassed as a Canadian citizen, at the lack of cooperation the House of Commons shows, even when it is in everyone's best interest. So after a troubling afternoon we came back to the house for worship practice because we have a group of 90 people coming in tomorrow. I am really insecure to play because I have my first solo! An interesting point that my roommate said though, is that often our insecurities stem from pride, it really hit me so my goal is to get my heart in the right place before tomorrow. Well I have a tonne of homework to do so I will talk to you all tomorrow. Have a goodnight.
Erica

No comments: