Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Tuesday- Passover/Repentance

Last night I celebrated my very first Passover meal...I know, I am not very cultured. It was a lot of fun, we had a lady who has a heart for Israel come and lead us in the ceremony. I had always thought that the passover feast was strictly meant for those who were Jewish, but I was really impressed with the idea of partaking in the feast, although different, it has close similarities to communion. Today in class we discussed the topic of the Old Covenant versus the New Covenant. I really enjoyed Richard's thoughts on the whole subject and we were able to look at scriptures that support the idea of the New Covenant replacing the Old. We looked at Jesus' ministry, as well as Paul's teaching, and came to the conclusion that- we should not ignore the Old Testament because it is God's Word. However, Jesus' ministry confirms the 10 commandments, and the 2 great commandments (love the Lord your God, and love your neighbor) not all 613 laws of Moses. Did you know, that in our present day, it is impossible for Jewish people to follow the Law, and even in Moses' time, the Israelites could not obey all the laws. Anyways, that is just a little tid-bit from this morning. This afternoon I went to my MP's office, it was really good today, I had lots of work to do and didn't have time to sit around, I love that! Tonight Fran taught our intercession class and we looked at repentance. This is a small excerpt from her teaching that really impressed me:



Biblical Examples of people who Interceded for a Generation's Sin
- Ezra had been approached concerning the intermarriage with the people
- Nehemiah had received a report of the state of Jerusalem and of the remnant which was left behind.
- Daniel had been pondering the words of Jeremiah and was convicted to interceded for his people
- Moses was crying out that God would not destroy the Israelites for worshiping the golden calf.
- Paul cries out for his kinsmen.
- Jesus identified with the sin of all mankind.

Until we have come to the place where we cry out for our corporate sins, we cannot intercede for our nation.
Requirements of the Intercessor
- you must be willing to see the true condition without trying to justify a persons actions
- you must be willing to allow the Lord to break/burden you heart with His heart
- You need to have the grace of God working within you to begin to carry their burden.
- You must be willing to release the burden upon the Lord. Note, God may burden us about a situation so that we may cast that burden upon Him.

I hope these blurbs will help for those of you leading a life of intercession. They really impress me when I am taught them. I believe that to be an intercessor is an incredible calling, I also believe we are all called to intercession. I hope those of you who are ahead of the game, spur on that passion in people like me, who are a lot slower in this area. Anyways, I will put my soap box away now and say goodnight.
Erica

No comments: